Monday, August 10, 2009

Sorry, 4got. Stppd 2 watch Dscvry Chnnl.

I watched seals fornicate for the first time in my entire life this morning. To my initial horror I wanted to tear my eyes away. Strangely enough I didn’t.

I had just befriended some hardcore diehard sporty folk who were willing to bust moves on the dance floor to the wee hours of the morning of an awesome Ukranian wedding the night before to be willing to arise early to glide the water of the inlet with me. Sheer enjoyment/soreness ensued the day after. I might add – we were not facebook friends at this point in time.

The wakeboarder bobbing in the water behind the boat had never wakeboarded in her entire life and only a few yards from where she sat ready and awaiting to discover the joys of wakeboarding, the joys of animal indecencies were taking place. On a positive note, she got up on the first try. A high level of motivation to get herself out of the water that she was sharing with the precarious mammals.

Let’s just say seals aren’t graceful about the act of recreating their spawn. There is an upset in the water as if a huge salmon has been caught and needs to be beat into submission. At first I thought that it was a fight in the water. But as I quietly observed for a few more seconds longer, it was definitely not a fight.

Sometimes life is like watching seals fornicate. It’s such a tragic comedy of an event that you can’t tear your eyes away as if you have the best seat in the house on real life Discovery Channel experiences. Someone pop the popcorn and get the Nibs out. A slap stick train wreck is playing.

I recently correlate this with my newfound hatred for social networking that gets out of control. I don’t despise Facebook, but it is a dangerous tool that can kill common courteousy in our relationships among real friends.

It fakens relationships in a lot of ways rather than enriching them if people are not reminded that there are unspoken rules to follow with any relationship. The same ones that we follow in showing love and care towards one another. But it seems that sometimes when life becomes a popularity contest people tend to forget basic rules that we should follow. And it somehow makes it alright to disregard all common courteousy with people. We can ignore, say maybe, and even say yes and then turn around and “forget.” It is a scape goat for when people don’t feel like being polite. Perhaps it is not a new concept. It's not as if caller ID was invented yesterday.

This has become incredibly apparent to me and has opened my eyes to the great symphony of a calamity of the shmozzle of events that can occur from creating events to attending events to trying to keep events intimate.

Recent events amongst friends of mine and hearing about the fact that Facebook really can create foes faster than clicking the send friend request has made me stop and think about my own level of curteousy with this social networking tool.

I send out a heartfelt apology to people that I might have offended at one point or another. There is sometimes rhyme or reason or none at all to the way I invite people to things. If you haven’t been invited, don’t take it personally. If you have been invited and you really don't know me, I might have misclicked the wrong name. I've done that before too.

If you have ever been excluded from an event and wanted to come, it hasn’t been on purpose and all you have to do is ask to come. I will try to follow up and invite you unless there is a specific reason as to why I can’t. They are general related to spacial issues, proximity or the general purpose/nature of the event. The net result is that I never intend to create a popularity contest. That’s all I can say. I’m careless and forgetful.

For those that have also taking Facebook as a serious planning tool, do remember that others are also careless and forgetful. Remember to err is human. But this is not a justification for behaving poorly.

For those of you who also find you have a hard time juggling this social networking tool. Do one last check of facebook before you head out for the evening. If there are a couple of events that you have the opportunity to attend, sometimes it’s best to try to fit them all in rather than creating a popularity contest. Or just be upfront about the fact that you aren’t going to attend and follow up because you can't go. Keep in mind that Facebook has a way of reminding others that they weren't invited. Once the event is over, many people tend to plaster their photos of their great times.

On the flip side, collaborate. If you find out that an event is occurring, be courteous to the person that is planning an event on the same night you want to have something. Plan your event on a different night.

If you’re missing a once in a lifetime party for an excited house owner for a birthday party and you all happen to be in the same circle of friends chances are someone is going to get hurt in the midst of carelessness. There in lies watching seals fornicate. It makes you want to tear your eyes away but at the same time, the nature of humanity and wildlife is being aware of the good, the bad and the ugly. I suppose it’s what we do with what we learn from watching mistakes, miscommunications, train wrecks and horny westcoastern seals go at it that is most important.

No comments: