Monday, August 31, 2009

A Comedy of Errors

Family. You can't live with them and you can't live without them.

I moved out recently and this adage came to mind when my folks arrived for a feast of Italian excellence put together by my roommate and me. The older I get, the more evident the role reversals with my parents are that seem to play out in the theatre called life. This night was a prime example of this observation.

Upon the arrival of said blood relatives, a sudden vibrant sense of energy filled the room. Something to do with the prospect of payback for all those years of free loading from my end. They entered the room excited and talking over one another. Not even paying attention to what the other was saying.

My mother immediately sauntered over to talk to my roommate while my dad came into the kitchen to show me something. With gusto my dad started wild exclamations over a really hilarious song he heard. I smiled politely trying to verify if the spaghetti noodles were ready to join our digestive systems.

Suddenly an all too familiar blaring sound filled the kitchen. Country music has a place in the world but I would never have made the suggestion of my father's iPhone.

What's that? I asked knowing very well what it was.

He fiddled on his PDA and paced the kitchen - actions more commonly associated with this man - while crooning "honey, I'm still a guy," somewhat less familiar.

Meanwhile my mother looked at me and asked,"Is supper ready?"
I shook my head and returned to tending the corn.

She mumbled something to the effect of finding a couch to crash on and disappeared into the deep recesses of my basement suite.

Suddenly this vision of me flopping down on my mothers couch flooded my mind numerous times when she invited me over for dinner. I couldn't help but smile.

I turned to say to my dad, "since when have u liked Country???"

"Since I borrowed your car."

I rest my case.

Still trying to figure out what play I'm stuck in. Something Shakespearean perhaps? 5 ticks say tragedy 20 ticks say comedy. Perhaps Comedy of Errors??

No comments: