Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ape Wild: Going Guerrilla

The checklist:

- Ski mask
- Ninja outfit
- Gloves
- Flashlight
- Location map
- Stake out
- Meeting time
- Anonymous team
- Bucket
- Shovel
- Water
- Soil

Check. Check. & Check.

I sat in the Canadian Tire parking lot and waited for the crew to arrive. Death sounds eminent just based on what I was preparing. Whether it was to be my own or someone else's, it was rather foreboding. From the sounds of what I had to prepare I very well could be a “hit person”. Yes, it is illegal, yes, there is a plan of attack, and yes it calls for an army of help. Give up as to what I’m referring to? It’s Guerrilla gardening.

I read about it on a blog recently. Thought it was a fantastic concept and decided that certain neighbourhoods in the area could use this rigorous regime.

I announced my plans to several friends. The blank stares in return made it quite clear that not all understand the point of this exercise or feel that it is necessary. I updated my facebook status and boom a couple friends jumped on board. (They knew what I was talking about!)

The most PC and cumbersome title for this new movement is the “Volunteer Community Beautification Project.” A friend of mine came up with this mouthful. That’s what we are prepared to tell the cops any time we are caught gardening on private property. The point of it is to make an ugly space pretty. Tracking my course? If not, it's alright.

It all started in London England’s grand metropolis where someone one day woke up to the fact that there are no green spaces. So they decided to add them to any place possible. In cracked sidewalks, abandoned mailboxes etc.

Granted we have lots of green, but sometimes there are spaces that could be spruced up. Plus it’s fun to get dirty and learn a skill that I am not particularly aware of with my friends. Although I have to say that I don’t recommend stealing the plants to beautify any square footage. Buy them and then find a space.

Now that I rent my pad, I don’t have the luxury or heresay as to what adorns the space in front of house. It was a blast last time, and this time, for all of my skeptical friends, I encourage you to come out. Message me on facebook if you want to join the rebel recruits.

What do they call organized anarchy?

I'm know, I'm so not a rebel.

No comments: