Sunday, February 22, 2009

the true mother's response

So I got hit by a car two days ago. The shock and the adrenaline have just worn off. Now, before you react the way my mother did to the news, just take this all with a bit of perspective. I have the ability to type you a blog. Can it really be all that serious?

When I say I got hit by a car it was more like a tap. I was on a run minding my own business. Saw a car proceeding towards a busy traffic street which I was running parallel to on the sidewalk. Made eye contact with the driver -- or so I thought -- and continued to proceed under the assumption that she was going to stop for me. Instead she didn't. She kept rolling towards me.

I had one of those out of body moments where my thoughts were reacting but my body wasn't. I had a moment of self narration as the whole thing unfolded in slow mo. And when I mean that it felt like it was happening in slow motion it truly was. She couldn't have been traveling at a speed of more than 0.05 kilometres per hour. I did not go sailing into the air once she hit me. I just sort of skipped, wacked the hood of her car and kept running.

Screamed at the top of my lungs more at the recognition that I was going to be hit by a car. Did a full body check, all nerves slightly frazzled, lots of adrenaline pumping, mad that she had interrupted my run. No broken bones.

I looked over at the driver. Poor thing looked like she had crapped her pants. Let her sit on that for a while. The worst punishment had already occurred. No one likes to sit in their own waste.

Today was her lucky day. There was no need to press charges. Told her that she may not be so fortunate next time and ran off.

Now, yes, I should have taken her name and her number and if my fingernail snagged on something and caused my finger stress, I could have sued but what would be the point of that. I don't have any money to pay a lawyer and I'm not an invalid so there just was no point.

The most amusing part was the phone call to my mother and her response without visual verification of her healthy daughter, "But honey you should still really have that checked out."

Pray tell what checked out? I'm not hurt.

Spoken like a true mother. Imagines the worst possible scenario without physical proof. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it for the sake of saving my mother one extra grey hair.

No comments: