Monday, February 2, 2009

Produce Aisle Love

I am currently conducting a social experiment. Many of you may or may not be conducting the same one. I call it an experiment perhaps because I have to weigh pros and cons, deduce from facts, and to be honest, the whole process is very scientific.

A friend once told me that the most likely place for two perfect strangers to meet is the grocery store. It makes sense. Everyone needs to eat unless they are anorexic or allergic to everything but water. Literally the meat market is at the meat market. Although I prefer to hang out in the fruits and vegetables aisle. It says a lot about people depending on what aisle they meet in. The junk food aisle….the meat aisle….the frozen food section. Hmmm…Something tells me I would like Mr. Right to be shopping in the fruits and vegetables section but realistically he’ll be in the canned food section or in the meat aisle.

If that can of soup is on the top shelf and there is no stool in sight but just a confused bachelor at hand fumbling over his heaping basket of baked beans and Kraft dinner, what is a damsel to do but to scale the shelving units and fall backwards in the general direction of an unobservant strangers direction in hopes that the person just might drop that basket of processed foods for you. I knew it. Love at first sight. Spell it out in the Chef Boyardi when you propose.

The scientific social experiment I am doing is actually a figurative cyber meat market rather than the literal. Yes, that’s right online dating personal ads. Yikes! Let me tell you it has provided hours of endless entertainment and many of these anecdotes will be shared in moments of inspiration. I promise. Although whenever I have to go grocery shopping, I can’t help but peak down the meat aisle and wonder if Mr. Right is waiting there for me.

No comments: