Thursday, February 19, 2009

fidelity and flowers

So this Valentine's Day came and went like the blink of an eye this year. Perhaps it was the fact that in the midst of this recession I find myself on the hunt for monetary earnings and the search for someone special just wasn't on the forefront of my mind. A couple days ago I found myself zoned out in front of the florist counter at Safeway dazed and confused.

A slow southern drawl snapped me out of my trance. "Is there anythin' I can help you with?" I was standing in front of the florist booth clutching tulips in my left hand and gerber daisies in my right. Realistically my light wallet was trying to decide between cheap and really cheap. A friend of mine was awaiting my visit, hopped up on T-3s and ice chips. I couldn't afford what I was about to purchase but I still wanted to get something to brighten her day after her tonsilectomy.

"Which would you prefer if you just got your tonsils out?" I asked the florist.

"Gerbers," she said from behind a couple bushes of foliage, "let me just check the back for extras."

I stood there daydreaming about the follow up calls I had to make that night when I got home from my good deed of the day.

"Sorry hon," she said emerging from the backroom, "I am out. Sold a ton yesterday. But the roses didn't go on sale until today."

I stood there trying to process what she was implying. Then it hit me like a solid brick of chocolate; Valentine's day was three days ago. And now flowers were on sale.

The florist just stood there sizing me up.

I plunked the Gerbers on the counter and returned the tulips.

"Do you know why roses are the flower of love?" She asked me as she prepared my bouquet.

"No idea," I said.

"Cuz they are pretty to look at, but they hurt like hell," she responded. I had to smile at the sentiment but I could only wonder why someone would say something like that. As much as I spent Valentine's Day alone this year I still held on to optimism.

"Every year I never got any of these and it just sucked to have to work on the 14th," she explained pulling lemongrass from other dying bouquets to add to mine.

I snapped out of my self-pity and reflected on how lonely it would be as a single florist selling flowers leading up to Valentine's Day.

"Did you get flowers this year?" She asked me.

"Nope."

"Well today is your lucky day."

Next thing I knew she had downloaded 2 dozen roses in my arms and told me it was my lucky day.

I just stood there and debated whether or not to justify why I deserved or didn't deserve 2 dozen roses. I felt like opening up to this woman but felt like if I stayed longer and said anything that the surreal moment I was experienced would disappear.

I rushed out to the car and hurried to get my beautiful pink roses in water. I thought about what had just taken place and I had to smile. The simple gesture had been just the right touch. No one could have known how much I needed those roses.

I think back to how much Safeway prides itself on customer service. I worked there back when I first turned 16 and quit shortly after the union threatened to go on strike. Safeway is expensive and I generally opt for a more reasonable alternative at Superstore. I stand by what I can afford. I thought about the nice gesture. The jingle from President Choice commercials entered my mind - is it worth switching supermarkets for? Naw.

Thanks Safeway, you raised the bar ever so slightly for any potential suitors but the reality is I will forever be faithful to my Superstore.

No comments: