Friday, October 9, 2009

What Would Captain Planet Do?

So my car has been on bed rest for the entire week. As a result I have been walking everywhere. The good weather during this wonderful fall has been a blessing despite the frustrations with a cantankerous automobile.

It's surprising what we miss when we're on the rat race of the congested autobahns of our cities. Today I was walking from the car shoppe to my work place and watched as a gentleman let his dog go to the washroom on a lawn that had not been properly maintained in a very long time.

He fished around for a few moments for a bag in his pocket and pretended to pull out an imaginary bag while I watched him. I'm not entirely sure how bad he truly thought my eyesight is. It's bad, but that's what the glasses are for. And if I remember correctly, they have been on my head all morning.

Then he quickly ran ahead of me with his dog. I looked over in the patch and his little Shitzu had made the number that I had predicted.

I sighed and walked past. It's funny how we are supposed to play by unspoken rules wherever we live. Who comes up with these rules other than the grumpy collective.

The man ran ahead and then when he realized he had to turn around he quickly scuffled past me with his head tilted down looking at his feet. I had to smile on the inside.

Yes. Dog poop is unsightly. Yes. It stinks. Yes. No one wants to step in it. But in a society so hung up on saving the planet, I am convinced that we should be a little more willing to let nature take its course and bio degrade and watch where we step more often. Cheers to Captain Planet.

In other countries it's your fault for not watching where you're going if you step in someone else's dogs remnants but that would interfere with our North American sense of self-entitlement.

So what would Captain Planet do? Save the planet, kiss David Suzuki, tell me I'm ridiculous for having a car. I think most of all he would draw the line at picking up after other people's dogs.

No comments: