Sunday, December 27, 2009

Merry Musings and Hot Chocolations

This post read goes well with Sufjan Steven’s I Saw Three Ships and drinking mint tea bag steeped hot chocolations. Hot picks derived from the writer as this is what she is doing as she contemplates this Holiday Season with virtual pen.

Like when opening a present and the next thing you know you’re debating whether or not to recycle wrapping paper packages that have been ripped to shreds. That’s somewhat how I feel when I try to gage how rapid the holidays will and have flown by.

This year’s Christmas letter came and went. As did the house gatherings, the excessive endorsements for egg nog – a concoction I have never truly understood, the mad dash around the local shopping emporium. The baking, the wrapping, the singing, the counting. The candlelit Christmas Eve Service. Reflection on Christ’s birth: everything.

What I most look forward to most every year are what is said when my family gets together. There are always gems of entertainment in what is said.

The best quote sample of the Hagglund Holidays 2009:

“Mom, if you don’t march upstairs right now, I’m going to write about this in my blog.” - The activities in question will be omitted for her sake.

“Do you know how long it’s been that I haven’t been able to grate cheese?” – Joel Hagglund as he proceeds to open a much needed cheese grater for his new kitchen.

“That’s the finest sifter I have ever seen.” – Mary Ellen says upon enviously inspecting her son’s dollar store purchased sifter.

“How come it’s not ringing anymore?” Mary Ellen says upon her iPhone connecting to the number she had dialed on her Christmas present.

“I have no more room for any more new technology.” – Mary Ellen after a few lessons on learning how to use her new cell phone. December 27, 2009 Mark it in your calendars folks. The day my mother decided to not learn anything new. It’s going to be another rough 50 years from here on in if this is truly the case.

“I think I would have to be Jewish and male to truly appreciate that.” – Kelsey Hagglund in reference to watching a skit called Tur – Mohel’s Evil League of Evil which involved plenty of jokes about circumcision. Highly recommended by Barry Hagglund.

“My plan to spite Kelsey isn’t going so well.” – Joel Hagglund as he proceeded to be beaten at Bohnanza.

To name a few. Merry New Year. Bring on 2010 for more fun, friendships and funny quotes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, your family. How they warm my heart.