Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When the $#%@ hits your shirt.

As I look out my work window, I often think to myself, “I am so blessed to live and work in Beautiful British Columbia.”

For one, as I have been a Communications Coordinator setting off to find my own way in the industry and had a rough start of it experiencing job and then no job and then a job and then no job and now another job, I have come to appreciate the finer details about being employed and figuring out how to remain employable and on the forefront of the industry. Being an early adapter rather than the caboose so to speak.

Just the stripped down, barebone nuances that drive most people nuts about their jobs is a great starting point. For all that I have learned about the last 2 years of being out of university it’s almost 95% attitude and 5% hardwork. A few other points I would like to add to that:

1)Anyone can be a hardworker but if they are whistling while they do it versus grumbling they are to be noticed and praised and create an enjoyable atmosphere for everyone around them . I can’t keep track of the # of people that hate their jobs and get paid awestrucking amounts of money for what they truly do. Oh, and they also have a huge sign on their forehead that says, “I don’t care.” If you go into it for a paycheck, check the cheque at the door and hit the ground running as fast as you can. You may not continue to see that pay check if you can’t find ways to enjoy the smell of animal dung clinging to your clothing as a janitor for the zoo. Perhaps your reason for being there is that you’ll invent an odour eating invention that will make you smell like flowers while you shovel S*&$. If its money that you’re after its absolute misery ahead. Be forewarned. A study was conducted and the average price based on the survey on Canadian contentment is $40,000 a year. Anything above and beyond that doesn’t bring anymore contentment because it generally means more stress and truck loads of responsibility and generally lower job satisfaction.

2)Some things in life are just not fair. North American society – rather first world nations pander us, cater to our every whim and often our whims are to win. So everyone in competition is given participation ribbons and told that they are a winner. This is a lie. Accept defeat well and see it as a growth opportunity. You will get cut from the team for whatever reasons sometimes in all
fairness, in other times simply for reasons completely outside your control. This is nothing against you as a person. I’m sure you make up for it in personality what you lack in capability. Accept what you’re dealt in life and don’t try to be something you’re not.

3)Know yourself inside and out. I would be rich if I were paid for the # of times people my age tell me they don’t know what they want to do in life. Focus is one thing. Understanding who you are and what makes you get out of bed in the morning are truly the best career counseling advice that I can pass on based on what I have learned. The focus will come when you figure out what and how to motivate yourself.

This is just a few of many things I have taken into consideration as I embark on another day at work. As I clean the fridge this afternoon I remember the ideals I graduated with and sort of laugh at the naïve version of myself.

I adore what I do.

I think I have another stack of paper that requires shredding and another plant that needs watering. My lunch hour is over and I have to get back to it. But I smile because I have a job. And I enjoy every minute of it because I now know how to appreciate what I have because I won’t be able to when it’s gone. I never thought that I would be so happy with a watering can in one hand and a note pad in the other. I guess you could say the more I learn the more I realize the less I know.

1 comment:

Ty said...

great words Kelsey!